Mission, Administration and Staff
Providing opportunities to explore, learn, create and connect.
Empowered and engaged individuals for a more inclusive and connected Baltimore County community.
- Our customers and communities
- Equal access and intellectual freedom
- Flexibility and collaboration
- Diversity and inclusion
- Continuous improvement
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
TTY through Maryland Relay
Board of Library Trustees
The Board’s responsibilities include:
- Appointment of the library director to manage day-to-day operations of the library system
- Policy formulation. Working with the director and staff, the Board develops policies to ensure that the library system is sound and responds to the needs of the public. Major policy areas include personnel, collection development, public service planning, budgeting and use of technology
Learn more about the Board of Library Trustees.
- Has overall responsibility for the management of the library system and strategic planning, serves as liaison to the County and state government, and is accountable to the Board of Library Trustees
- Oversees Fiscal Services, Human Resources, Planning, Projects and Data, and Technology Support departments
Paula Miller began her tenure as director for Baltimore County Public Library in August 2014. She is the fourth director of the library and the first female director in its celebrated 68-year history.
Prior to working for Baltimore County Public Library, Miller was director of Colorado's Pikes Peak Library District since 2006, where she oversaw the development and opening of Library 21c, an award-winning state-of-the-art library in Colorado Springs. She also served as director of the Westlake Porter Public Library in Ohio, administrator of the Eastern Shore Regional Library in Maryland and director of the Dover Public Library in Delaware.
Enamored by libraries since her first shelving job at age 16, Miller believes they are critical community resources that are increasingly important in peoples' lives. She is focused on identifying new and emerging library needs while finding innovative solutions that keep community libraries relevant and effective. Miller has focused on building community relationships, organizational partnerships and engaging staff teams that can help the library excel in providing 21st century library services.
Two recent successes from these strong teams and partnerships include the renovation and expansion of the Hereford Branch, with its signature artist and maker center of excellence, The Hive, and the launch of BC Reads, a countywide reading initiative addressing important issues facing our community.
Miller earned a Bachelor's degree in psychology from Kent State University and a Masters of Library and Information Science from the University of Maryland. She and her husband Jay, an artist and art instructor, live in Towson. They have three sons and two grandchildren.
Adult and Community Engagement
Customer Support Services
Meeting Room Bookings
Facilities Services and Facilities Management
Phone: 410-887-6136 or 410-887-6100
Helen Rowe (interim)
Marketing and Development
Planning, Projects and Data
Virtual and Media Services