Assistive or adaptive technology and equipment are available on a first-come, first-served basis at all branches.
- Computer workstation with large-screen monitor
- MAGic keyboard: Features large-print, high-contrast keys that control screen and text magnification and provides descriptive narration of typing or screen area as well as dedicated research functions
- Optelec: Text and image magnification system
- JAWS (Job Access With Speech): Screen-reader software that speaks and reads word processed documents, websites, databases, email messages and more
- ZoomText: Software for enlarging text
- FSReader: Software for accessing DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) materials
- Magnifying glass: Available upon request at each branch’s Service Desk
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities who are planning on holding or attending a program or event will be provided upon request. Please notify the branch holding the event 10 working days prior.
Hearing and Speech Impairment Resources
Deaf or hearing or speech impaired customers and TTY users can reach any of our branches and the Administrative Office through Maryland Relay.
Books and DVDs are available for an adult or child to learn American Sign Language.
Vision Impairment Resources
For optimal viewing of this website, you can adjust the contrast using the slide button in the footer on any page.
The library has a collection of Braille picture books for preschool children. They can be used by a sighted child who is learning to read assisted by a blind parent or by a blind child who is learning Braille.
Materials available in large print include large-print books and digital e-books and e-magazines that allow the reader to change the font size and other display settings. Audiobooks are available on CD and Playaways as well as in downloadable format.
InfoEyes is a question-and-answer service for people with a visual impairment or other print limitation. Librarians from the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Maryland Ask Us Now and across the country provide the service.
You can access the service from any branch or from home, school or work. You can also schedule an appointment to talk live with a librarian online or email a question to a librarian. Service is available during normal business hours Monday through Saturday, except holidays.