Student School Resources Toolkit
September 01, 2020 | By Baltimore County Public Library
This fall, Baltimore County Public School students will begin their school year learning from home. Baltimore County Public Library features several online tools, e-sources, and engaging programs for students and their families to support them through this school year and beyond.
While all Baltimore County residents are able to obtain free library cards online, BCPS student identification numbers already serve as library cards. With a library card, materials and myriad e-sources are available instantly. Read below to learn more or explore our youth offerings by age group.
Kanopy Kids, or K-Kids, is a tightly curated collection of the best children’s programming available today that's tailored to your community's kids. From Sesame Street to Weston Woods, to programs for early literacy, STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education and learning new languages—Kanopy Kids inspires empathy, critical thinking and self-esteem in young viewers.
Learn more about the following homework help resources:
- Brainfuse—Get expert help from tutors through a live chat from 2 p.m. to midnight, seven days a week. Send a question and get an answer within 24 hours.Spanish-speaking tutors are available. Have your library card number and password available.
- SkillSurfer—Practice long division, improve reading comprehension and learn other key skills.
- Writing Lab—Submit a writing sample and receive feedback on structure, grammar, style and content to help you better organize and present your thoughts and information.
Use our online databases for research and school assignments. Many contain full-text articles from magazines, journals, current and historic newspapers, encyclopedias and more. A valid library card is required to access some databases.
- Kids InfoBits—(changing to Gale in Context: Elementary)—A search tool for students in kindergarten through grade 5 to find full-text articles from popular magazines and facts from reference books for research papers or homework.
- NoveList K-8 Plus—Find fiction and nonfiction recommendations for picture books, children's chapter books, young adult titles and more categorized by age and genre. Includes book reviews, book lists and teaching guides for Common Core and curriculum connections.
- Primary Search—Designed for elementary school libraries, a full-text database providing popular children’s magazines, easy-to-read encyclopedic entries and a vast image collection. Students can learn about a variety of topics, including endangered species, famous musicians, fitness and space exploration.
- World Book Student—Content designed for elementary and middle school homework and research needs. Features multimedia on a variety of topics, science fair projects, a biography finder, links to world newspapers and more.
- Middle Search Plus—Designed for middle school libraries, a full-text database providing popular middle school magazines and reference books. Covering subjects such as history, current events, science and sports, it also includes thousands of biographies and primary source documents, plus over a million photos, maps and flags.
- Gale In Context: Middle School—Students find outstanding support to complete assignments in core subjects, including literature, science, social studies and history.
- Enciclopedia Estudiantil—Enciclopedia estudiantil en español. Esta obra de consulta incluye artículos básicos sobre temas generales, gente, lugares, cosas e ideas.
- Gale in Context: High School Edition—Full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, primary source documents, images, videos, audio files and links to vetted websites organized into a user-friendly portal experience.
- Lynda.com—Unlimited training on a wide variety of topics, including business skills and software, web design and development, music and audio, photography, video editing and animation.
- Mango Languages—Online language-learning system that teaches conversation skills for over 71 different languages as well as English as a second language for speakers of 19 languages.
- Science Reference Center—Full-text science-oriented content for student research. Content is available from science encyclopedias, reference books, magazines, journals and more. Topics include biology, chemistry, Earth-space science, environmental science, health and medicine, history of science and more.
- Testing and Education Reference Center—Features online practice tests and study materials for GED, SAT, ACT, Praxis, NCLEX, TOEFL, citizenship, postal or military exams, law enforcement, occupational tests, certification and licensing tests and more.
- Parent tips and Toddler Story Time activities on YouTube and Facebook. Check out these videos for great ideas to engage with your young child with songs, rhymes, games, and books!
- Craft, STEM, and nature activity ideas on YouTube and Facebook. Check out these videos for great ideas for you and your school aged child to stay engaged in creativity and learning throughout the week after the school day ends.
Category: Collection and Materials