Apply for the Building Buddies Service Learning Program
May 04, 2022 | By Baltimore County Public Library
Building Buddies Service-Learning Program is a new volunteer program being offered to teens to receive service learning hours, while helping Junior Buddies (elementary-aged youth) during STEM-based programming held at our branches throughout the summer. These available positions allow teens to gain meaningful, face-to-face service experiences in our branches, while applying lessons learned in school to the real world. An interest in working with youth and families and a desire to learn about library services and programs is required. This initiative is replacing the Summer Reading Challenge volunteers accepted in previous years.
Volunteers are selected based on a variety of criteria including:
- Proper and thoughtful completion of the application.
- Timely submission of the application.
- Availability according to the schedule found on each branch application.
This is a competitive application process—all that apply may not be chosen. If selected as a Building Buddy, teens are expected to:
- Attend an orientation and training session.
- Participate in three scheduled programs throughout the summer.
- Dress suitably for work in the branch (casual, neat and well-groomed).
- Arrive on time.
- Sign in and out each day to record hours worked.
- Maintain regular communication with the Building Buddies branch coordinator.
- Have a great time.
How to Apply
Apply to the branch of your choice from the list below. Complete and submit the online application by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, May 15. Students may apply to more than one branch, but will only be selected for one. Students that participate in all elements of this program earn at least 10 service-learning hours.
- Loch Raven
- North Point
- Owings Mills
- Perry Hall
- Sollers Point
- White Marsh
Contact the coordinator at the email address listed on each branch application or email firstname.lastname@example.org for general questions.