Work For Us
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: North Point Branch
Salary: $18.59 to $24.41 per hour, commensurate with experience
Schedule (subject to change):
- Tuesday: 4 to 9 p.m.
- Wednesday: 1 to 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 4 to 9 p.m.
- Every other Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday: Rotation
At Baltimore County Public Library (BCPL), staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, developing innovative learning environments and creating gracious library spaces. We circulate over 10 million items and provide library services through our 19 branches, four mobile library vehicles and a growing virtual online presence. If you are enthusiastic, self-motivated and open to new ideas, consider joining the library as a Part-time Librarian.
- Assist customers in finding answers to a broad range of questions through use of print and electronic resources
- Guide customers in selecting appropriate materials for reading, viewing and listening either for personal pleasure or professional development
- Commitment to customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- May develop and maintain a portion of the library’s collection
- May plan and present library-related programs and outreach services
- Understand and apply technological skills and use online tools to improve efficiency and assist customers
- May serve on teams and committees within the branch and system-wide
- Maintain professional growth and development through a variety of continuing educational resources
- MLS from an ALA-accredited school or completion of Library Associate Training Institute, or a bachelor’s degree and six months of related experience
- Knowledge of library organization and operation
- Knowledge of print, electronic and online information resources
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with customers, community groups and coworkers
- Ability to plan, organize and present a variety of activities and presentations
- Ability to demonstrate written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work on a public service desk for long periods of time and move throughout the building
- Must pass a post-offer criminal background check
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach two documents:
1. A completed BCPL employment application, which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs
2. Your cover letter and resume as one PDF document
Include your last name in the title of the documents. Indicate the job title Part-Time Librarian—North Point in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date: 08/21/2018
Vacancy #: 2019-014