Work For Us
Circulation Assistant II
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: White Marsh Branch
Salary: $11.39 to $15.32 per hour, commensurate with experience
Schedule (subject to change):
- Monday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Friday from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. or from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., alternating
- At least one Sunday per month from 1 to 5 p.m.
At Baltimore County Public Library (BCPL), staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, developing innovative learning environments and creating gracious library spaces. We circulate over 10 million items and provide library services through our 19 branches, four mobile library vehicles and a growing virtual online presence. If you are enthusiastic, self-motivated and open to new ideas, consider joining the library as a part-time Circulation Assistant II.
- Assist customers with check out procedures, permits and licenses, basic catalog searches and basic computer use
- Handle customer account concerns including negotiation of fees and collection agency inquiries
- Use the ILS to register customers for library cards, to check in materials, to determine specific action for processing items and to ensure accurate processing of materials
- Use cash register credit card systems for collecting payments
- Communicate and enforce rules and policies
- Respond to materials security system
- Serve as lead staff at the customer service desk in the absence of a manager
- Sort and shelve materials and keep them in an orderly fashion
- Process incoming materials and mail
- Process Request Manager reports, withdrawn materials, reserves and problem materials
- Assist with opening and closing procedures
- May prepare cash drawers and make bank cash deposits
High School Graduate or High School equivalency preferred
- One year of customer service experience working in a public library preferred
- Ability to sort materials in alphabetical and numerical order, process basic math transactions, follow instructions, work effectively under minimal supervision, communicate effectively and exercise sound judgment
- Basic computer skills demonstrated through use of Microsoft Office applications and email
- Physical ability to stand at a public service desk for up to two hours at a time, lift up to 25 pounds, push or pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds and read small print
- Physical ability to bend, kneel, crouch and stretch for up to five minutes at a time
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts that may include evenings and weekends
- Must pass a post-offer criminal background check
Send an email to email@example.com and attach two documents:
- A completed BCPL employment application, which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs
- Your cover letter and resume as one PDF document
Include your last name in the title of the documents. Indicate the job title Circulation Assistant II—White Marsh in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date: 09/24/2018
Vacancy #: 2019-024