Work For Us
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: Cockeysville Branch
Salary: $9.26 to $11.65 per hour, commensurate with experience
Current Shifts to Be Filled:
- Monday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tuesday: 1 to 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 1 to 9 p.m.
- At least two Saturdays a month from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- At least two Sundays a month from 1 to 5 p.m.
Note: All hours are subject to change to meet the needs of the branch. All staff must be able to work year-round, from 5 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and be available to work Saturdays and Sundays.
At Baltimore County Public Library (BCPL), staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 11 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, four mobile library vehicles and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL as a part-time Shelver.
- Sorts and shelves library materials and keeps them in an orderly fashion on the shelves
- Empties the book drop and performs other Return Room duties
- Uses the computerized Integrated Library System (ILS) to check in materials, reads messages on the computer to determine specific action for processing items and ensures accurate processing of materials
- Assists with merchandising tasks and ensuring that public shelving areas are neat and organized
- Assists with opening and closing procedures
- Assists with other circulation duties as needed
- Must be 16 years old or older (must have a work permit if under age 18)
- Ability to quickly and accurately organize materials in alphabetical and numeric order
- Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing
- Ability to do basic math and operate a cash register
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Physical ability to stand for long periods of time, lift up to 25 pounds and push or pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds
- Physical ability to bend, kneel, crouch and stretch for up to five minutes at a time
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts, including days, evenings and weekends
- Must pass a post-offer criminal background check
Send an email to email@example.com and attach two documents:
1. A completed BCPL employment application, which you can find on our website www.bcpl.jobs
2. Your cover letter and resume as one PDF document
Include your last name in the title of the documents. Indicate the job title Shelver in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date: 05/28/2018
Vacancy #: 2018-127