Work For Us
Circulation Assistant II
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: Towson Branch
Salary: Hourly $11.39 - $15.32, commensurate with experience.
- Wednesday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday 1 to 5 p.m.
- Friday 1 to 5:30 p.m.
- Every Third Saturday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Every Third Sunday 12 to 5 p.m.
At Baltimore County Public Library (BCPL), staff members have the opportunity to enrich individual lives and build strong communities by delivering exceptional customer experiences, establishing meaningful partnerships, and creating innovative learning spaces. We seek enthusiastic, open-minded, self-motivated individuals who can work well independently and with others. BCPL circulates over 11 million items and provides library services through its 19 branches, 4 mobile library vehicles, and an extensive outreach network. If you are forward thinking and passionate about public service, consider joining BCPL as a part-time Circulation Assistant II.
- Assist customers with check out procedures, permits/licenses, basic catalog searches, and basic computer use
- Handle customer account concerns including negotiation of fees and collection agency inquiries
- Use the ILS to register customers for library cards, to check-in materials, to determine specific action for processing items, and to ensure accurate processing of materials
- Use cash register credit card systems for collecting payments
- Communicate and enforce rules and policies
- Respond to materials security system
- Serve as lead staff at the customer service desk in the absence of a manager
- Sort and shelve materials and keep them in an orderly fashion
- Process incoming materials and mail
- Process Request Manager reports, withdrawn materials, reserves, and problem materials
- Assist with opening and closing procedures
- May prepare cash drawers and make bank cash deposits
- High School Graduate or High School equivalency preferred
- One year of customer service experience working in a public library preferred
- Ability to sort materials in alpha & numerical order, process basic math transactions, follow
- instructions, work effectively under minimal supervision, communicate effectively, and exercise
- sound judgment
- Basic computer skills demonstrated through use of Microsoft Office applications and email
- Physical ability to stand at a public service desk for up to 2 hours at a time, lift up to 25
- lbs., push and pull carts weighing up to 100 lbs., and read small print
- Physical ability to bend, kneel, crouch, and stretch for up to 5 minutes at a time
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts that may include evenings and weekends
- Must pass a post offer criminal background check
Send an email to email@example.com and attach the following two documents:
1. A completed BCPL employment application (PDF)
2. Your cover letter and resume as one PDF document
Include your last name in the title of the documents. Indicate the job title Circulation Assistant II in the subject line of your email.
Closing Date: 04/26/2018
Vacancy #: 2018-114