Towson Branch and Administrative Offices of the Baltimore County Public Library

 

 

 

 

 

 

Services  |  Friends   |   History

MTA Bus Transportation Information

The roof of the Towson branch is currently being replaced through March. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we improve the branch to better serve you.

 

Contact Information

 

Hours

 

 

Wheelchair accessible symbol.320 York Road 
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179

 

  • Telephone: 410-887-6166

 

  • Sun: 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Mon: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Tue: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Wed: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Thu: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Fri: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Sat: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

 

 

See More Events...  

 

Services

In addition to book, CD and DVD collections for all ages, this branch offers the following:

 

 BB's Cafe

 

BB's Cafe offers cafe seating, free wireless internet access and discounted garage parking. Enjoy highly personable coffee beverages combining impeccable products, Italian and Seattle techniques with Asian and American influences as well as baked goodies for the kids.  Check out our flyer [PDF].

 

 

Kids' Kingdom

 

The castle at the Towson LibraryThe children's area of the Towson Branch is nestled inside the "stone" walls and a turret provides a hideaway and stairs for a view over the wall. In addition, the branch hosts a play area for children under 3 years.

 

Dragon Maze

 

The Towson Dragon Maze [PDF] is a outdoor ground mural which provides a number of opportunities for teaching early literacy skills in a whimsical environment. The maze was made possible through funding provided by the Friends of the Towson Library and was created by artist Sydney Hopkins who also created the castle-themed children's area and was inspired by  and given permission from author and illustrator Gail Gibbons.

 

Parking

 

There is limited street and metered parking surrounding the Towson Branch but a connected and covered pay garage is always available. Rates for daytime hours on Monday through Friday are below...
 

Baltimore County Revenue Authority Garage Rates

Up to 1/2 hour

Up to 1 hour

Up to 2 hours

Up to 3 hours

$0.50

$1.00

$2.00

$3.00

Up to 4 hours

Up to 5 hours

Up to 6 hours

7 hours (max)

$4.00

$5.00

$6.00

$7.00

 

Rates are $2.00 (with validation from the library) after 5:30 p.m. on weekdays and all-day on weekends.

 

Friends

 

Mission

 

The Friends of the Towson Library is an independent, volunteer-run organization whose mission is to increase, improve and raise awareness of the services, facilities and resources of the Towson Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library.

 

The Annual Towson Friends Book Sale is held each April at the Towson Branch. Donations of nearly new or gently used books, DVDs, CDs, and videos are needed for the annual book sale. Please bring all donations to the Accounts desk on the main floor of the Towson Branch.

 

Contacts
 

Friends of the Towson Library Website: http://www.towsonfriends.org

Friends of the Towson Library email: towsonfriends@gmail.com

 

Newsletters

 

The newsletters for the Friends of the Towson Library can be downloaded in PDF format below...

 

History

 

About This Branch

 

The first Towson Library began lending books on May 1, 1936 and was located in the Odd Fellow's Hall. There were several other locations for the Towson Branch over the years, including 420 York Road, 25 West Pennsylvania Avenue and 28 West Susquehanna Avenue

 

The current Towson Branch was constructed in 1974 and expanded in 1990, and is a landmark building in the heart of Towson.  The contemporary concrete structure was designed by Tatar & Kelly Architects. In 1985, the Towson Branch was given the Best Library award by the City Paper. In 1986, it was recognized by the County Executive for its outstanding contributions to its community.

 

About This Community

 

Towson was settled in 1752 when brothers William and Thomas Towson began farming an area of Sater's Hill, northeast of the present-day York and Joppa Roads. William's son, Ezekiel, opened the Towson Hotel at current-day Shealy Avenue and York Road, near the area's main crossroads. The village became known as "Towsontown".

 

In 1790, businessman Capt. Charles Ridgely completed the magnificent Hampton Mansion just north of Towsontown, the largest private house in America at the time. The Ridgelys lived there for six generations, until 1948. It is now preserved as the Hampton National Historic Site and is open to the public.

 

Towson became the county seat for Baltimore County on February 13, 1854 when the second Maryland Constitution of 1851 split "Baltimore Town" into the City of Baltimore and Baltimore County.

 

Additional Information

 

BCPL's collection contains materials on Towson. The website for the Towson Chamber of Commerce may also be of interest.

 

 


Revised: February 15, 2018