Pikesville Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library

Services   |  Friends   |   History

MTA Bus Transportation Information


Contact Information



Wheelchair accessible symbol.1301 Reisterstown Road 

Pikesville, Maryland 21208-4195



  • Sun: 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Mon: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Tue: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Wed: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Thu: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Fri: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Sat: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events



See More Events...  



In addition to book, CD and DVD collections for all ages, this branch offers the following:



Mission Statement


  • To serve BCPL and the Pikesville community through advocacy and by striving to enhance the services, facilities and resources of the branch.












About This Branch


The Pikesville Library was originally set up in temporary quarters in the Odd Fellows Building at 1507 Reisterstown Road and opened to the public on September 16, 1946. The branch moved to a larger facility at 1111 Reisterstown Road was dedicated on November 11, 1951.


The current Pikesville Branch opened on February 14, 1982 on the first level of the two-story Pikesville Community Center. The building also houses a senior center and a health center.


The branch was originally 18,000 square feet and was one of the first full service libraries in the nation to be equipped with face-out display shelving for easy selection of books. A $3.6 million expansion and renovation added 3,500 square feet to the branch when it re-opened on July 26, 2007.



About This Community


Pikesville was named after the American soldier and explorer Zebulon Pike (1779–1813). Pike's  accomplishments were widely celebrated after his death and he became the namesake for dozens of places (including Pikesville, Maryland and Pikes Peak, Colorado) and ships.


In the 1850s, prominent Baltimorean James Howard McHenry (1820-1888) purchased over 850 acres of land in Pikesville and named his estate "Sudbrook." McHenry actively sought to develop his Sudbrook estate as a "suburban village," and in 1876 he contacted renowned landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr. (co-designer of New York's Central Park) to design a suburban community on the estate.


Unfortunately McHenry died in 1888 before it could be completed; Sudbrook Park subsequently opened in the spring of 1890 with its entranceway bridge, a train station, a hotel, and nine sample cottages.



Additional Information


BCPL's collection contains materials on Pikesville.


Revised: July 20, 2016