Arbutus Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library

Services    Friends   |  History

 

Passport service will not be available on Thursday, December 31 or Wednesday, February 17.

 

MTA Bus Transportation Information

 

Contact Information

 

Hours (Including Drive-Up Window)

855 Sulphur Spring Road  Wheelchair accessible symbol.
Arbutus, Maryland 21227-2745

 

 

  • Sun: 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Mon: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Tue: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Wed: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Thu: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Fri: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Sat: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

 

 

See More Events...  

 

Services

In addition to book, CD and DVD collections for all ages, this branch offers the following:

Friends

The purpose of the Friends of the Arbutus Library is to promote and support library services in the Greater Arbutus area; to build up the resources of the Arbutus History Room; to adopt guidelines for its operation; and to promote public interest in its program.

 

The Friends of the Arbutus Library
 

  • Maintain the Arbutus History Room by collecting and organizing relevant articles, photographs, genealogies and other documents.
     
  • Plan and present historical programs of interest to the residents of the greater Arbutus area.

 

Contacts

 

 

History

 

Local History Room

 

A collection of local history materials can be found in the branch's Arbutus Room. These materials are available to the public during regular library hours through the Information Desk.

 

The Arbutus Room houses collections of newspaper clippings, pamphlets, local history documents, maps and photographs pertaining to the history of Arbutus, Halethorpe, Relay, St. Denis, Lansdowne, Baltimore Highlands, Riverview and English Consul. The collection is maintained by the Friends of the Arbutus Library.

 

 

About This Branch

 

The first Arbutus Library began as the "Arbutus-Halethorpe Free Library" in 1948 when local residents started a library in the basement of the Arbutus Hardware store at 5417 East Drive. It was such a success that in the early 1950's it became a part of the Baltimore County Public Library system and moved into larger quarters over an A&P supermarket.

 

In 1962 the library moved to a more modern building at 1581 Sulphur Spring Road. It remained at that location until August 10, 2010 when the current $11 million library, community center and senior center opened at 855 Sulphur Spring Road.

 

The official opening of the 25,000 square foot LEED silver certified "Green Building" by Baltimore County Executive James T. Smith and other dignitaries took place on August 24, 2010.

 

 

About This Community

 

The name  of the community came from the abundance of trailing arbutus flowers that once covered the area. Seven small villages played a part in the history of the Arbutus area. These were Avalon, St. Denis, Relay, Lansdowne, Violetville, Halethorpe and Arbutus. All but Avalon remain active communities today and the Lansdowne community currently has a BCPL branch as well.

 

 

Additional Information

 

BCPL's collection contains materials on Arbutus. In addition, Arbutus Stories is a video collection hosted on BCPL's YouTube Channel.

 


Revised: December 10, 2015