Welcome to the Baltimore County Public Library.

Baltimore County Public Library logo Taste of the Town. Saturday, May 3, 2014 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Get your tickets now...
   
Type of search:   

 

 

Interesting Places in Baltimore County

 

  

Photo of the Old Baltimore County Courthouse

Photo of the informational sign about the Old Baltimore County Courthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Old County Courthouse

Towson

Designed by Dixon, Balbirnie, and Dixon, the Courthouse was built between 1854 and 1856 on land donated by Dr. Grafton Bosley. This Greek Revival building was constructed with local limestone and granite. Additions were made in 1910 and 1958. Courtroom No. 5, the County's first courtroom, has been restored.

 

Photo of Hampton Mansion

 

Hampton Mansion
Towson

Hampton was built between 1783 and 1790 by Colonel Charles Ridgely in the center of 1500 acres. Captain Ridgely died six months after completing the house, and left it to his nephew. Charles Carnan, who then took Ridgely as his last name. This man became known as General Ridgely and served as the Governor of Maryland between 1816 and 1819. This Georgian mansion is a National Historic Site.

Photo of the Old Baltimore County Jail

 

 

Old County Jail
Towson

Designed by Dixon and Dixon, this Italianate structure was built in 1855 on land donated by Dr. Grafton Bosley. The south wing contains the iron cage cell blocks and an entrance to the courtyard where the gallows stood.

 

 

 

Photo of a sign which says that George Washington traveled this road

 

 

 

 

 

 

George Washington
Traveled Here!
Rosedale

Rosedale, a community northeast of the city of Baltimore, was a farming community from the time of the first settlers until suburban development began after World War II. US Route 40, which runs through the community, carried George Washington to New York in 1789, where he was inaugurated as our first president.

 

Photo of Ballestone Mansion

 

Ballestone Mansion
Essex

Located at the Rocky Point Golf Club in Essex, the mansion is named after William Ball, who owned the property in the 1600s, and was the great-great grandfather of George Washington.

 

Photo of the Benjamin Banneker Museum

Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum
Historic Oella

This museum and park pays tribute to the African-American astronomical, mathematical, and agricultural pioneer Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) who lived most of his life in a one room log home in Southern Baltimore County. The museum is aimed at introducing visitors to the story of Banneker, often dubbed the first African-American man of science, and 18th century lifestyles. The museum exhibit displays information about the American Indians who were first prevalent in this region of the country and continues on to information about Banneker. Currently some excavated artifacts are on display and plans are in the works to expand the facility with more exhibits and possible archeological educational programs.

Photo of the English Consul Mansion  English Consul Mansion

Baltimore Highlands

In the area known as Baltimore Highlands is a legendary mansion called English Consul. The land and house were owned by William Dawson, the first English Consul to Maryland. One legend claims that Dawson had a brother who was transported from England to America in disgrace. Each year he was to receive a whip lashing as punishment for the crime he had committed. This took place on the English Consul estate. Another legend has it that the mansion was a stop on the Underground Railroad before the Civil War. In 1909 a developer purchased the estate. It was eventually divided into the areas known as Baltimore Highlands, Rosemont, Friendship Gardens and the small section still called English Consul.

  

Photo of the Jacob Seddon House in Perry HallJacob Seddon House

East Joppa Road, Perry Hall

This photograph of the Jacob Seddon house on East Joppa Road presents one of the oldest houses in Perry Hall. Presently occupied by the Honeygo Child Development Center, no one knows how old this structure is, but its architecture dates back to before the Civil War.
 

Photo of Summit MansionSummit Mansion
Catonsville

Wealthy Baltimorean families came to Catonsville to escape the summer heat of the city by building large estates in the community for use as summer homes. One of the more well-known mansions that was built in Catonsville was 'The Summit'. 'The Summit' is still standing today as an apartment house, south of Frederick Road. Because of the presence of these seasonal residents, new employment opportunities were generated for both white and black working-class residents, further ensuring community stability and growth.

Photo of Aigburth Vale

 

Aigburth Vale

Towson

John E. Owens, a famous British comedian, engaged the services of Niernsee and Neilson to create this Second Empire mansion around 1868. Later his estate was broken into lots and became one of the oldest planned communities in Baltimore County. Aigburth Vale is on the Baltimore County Landmarks List.

 

Photo of headstones at the Prospect Hill Cemetery in Towson

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prospect Hill Cemetery
Towson

A private, nondenominational cemetery, it is the resting place for many members of Towson's leading families who played active roles in the growth of Towson. It is open to the public. It is on the County Landmarks List.