Cockeyville Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library

Services   |   History

MTA Bus Transportation Information


Contact Information



Wheelchair accessible symbol.9833 Greenside Drive 
Cockeysville, Maryland 21030-2188



  • Sun: 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Mon: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Tue: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Wed: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Thu: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
  • Fri: 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Sat: 9:0 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events



See More Events...  



In addition to book, CD and DVD collections for all ages, this branch offers the following:


About This Branch


The Cockeysville Homemakers' Club and the Cockeysville Improvement Society raised funds and, on May 5, 1947, established a library on York Road just north of the former underpass.


In February 1948, the library moved across the street and then in December 1949 moved to larger quarters in the former Zink residence, a small house located near the Cockeysville School on York Road.


In August, 1961, the Cockeysville Branch opened in a 3,000 square feet building at 10757 York Road which was expanded in January 1968 to an 11,000 square foot facility.


The branch opened at its present location on February 16, 1982 and was one of the first libraries in the nation featuring open-face bookstore display shelving and neon signage. The branch was renovated and expanded in October 2009.



About This Community


The community of Cockeysville was named after the Cockey family who helped establish the town.  Thomas Cockey (1676–1737) settled at Taylor's Hall in 1725, an area now just north of Padonia Road and east of Interstate 83.


Joshua Frederick Cockey (1765–1821) built one of the first homes in the area in 1798 and a hotel in 1810 in what would become the village of Cockeysville. His son, Judge Joshua F. Cockey (1800–1891), was a lifelong resident of the village and built the train station and accompanying commercial buildings in the 1830s.



Additional Information


BCPL's collection contains materials on Cockeysville. Other websites of interest include the Historical Society of Baltimore County.



Revised: November 30, 2015